A dual purpose American hop with a high alpha acid (11-13%). Its character is strongly tropical and lush with a host of fruit flavors including peach, passionfruit, guava, lychee, lime and gooseberry. Because of its distinctive and intense aromatics, Citra® is best in a late addition or dry hop capacity. Used as a single variety or in a blend, Citra® does well in American wheat beers, pale ales, IPAs Belgian-style ales, and has been known to complement Brettanomyces.
- Pedigree: Comprised of Hallertau Mittelfruh, US Tettnang, Brewer's Gold and East Kent Golding
- Brewing Usage: Aroma
- Aroma: Strong citrus and tropical tones of grapefruit, melon, lime, gooseberry, passion fruit and lychee
- Typical Beer Styles: IPA
- Additional Information: Developed by the Hop Breeding Company and released in 2007.
- Alpha Acids: 11.0 - 13.0%
- Beta Acids: 3.5 - 4.5%
- Co-Humulone: 22 - 24%
- Total Oil: 2.2 - 2.8 mL / 100g
- Myrcene: 60 - 65% of total oil
- Humulene: 11 - 13% of total oil
- Caryophyllene: 6 - 8% of total oil
- Farnesene: < 1% of total oil
- General Trade Perception: One of the most popular new varieties, known for its intense flavor and aroma characteristics
Note: The 2 ounce packages are packed down from a pound package in house and nitrogen flushed to preserve freshness.